Recently there has been a rash of fires in the GTA. This past weekend, there was a fatal house fire in Hamilton where a mother, her 3 children and another occupant were killed. This bring the total of 32 fire related deaths in Ontario in just over 2 months.
The most disturbing news is that a lot of these deaths could have been PREVENTED with installation/working smoke detectors and alarms.
The Ontario Fire Marshall reported that during the past decade, there has been 521 fire deaths and about 50% of those lives could have been saved with the proper use of a smoke detector.
Below I have listed some tips that I feel will help any homeowner in avoiding any accidents,fires, or even tragedy. Please... I urge you to share your tips with us. I believe that even if only one reader implements or uses these tips then we have at least one more safety conscious homeowner. And that folks is what it is all about !!
Some Safety Home Tips:
- Install working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on each floor. Replace batteries at least once a year.
- Place fire extinguisher in kitchen
- Use automatic timers on exterior/interior lights to deter intruders.
- If garbage pickup day and you are away, have a trusted neighbour place garbage bins on your curb. Make sure neighbour picks up the empty bins. Robbers look for signs of owners away on holiday.
- Make sure garage door opener reverses if door comes into contact with an object or person. If it does not, replace door immediately.
- Disconnect garden hoses...use indoor shut off valve and drain water from pipe leading to outside faucets. This will reduce the change of freezing or bursting.
As mentioned, please share your ideas on how we can make our home safer.
Thanks in advance.